Monday, December 5, 2016

With a little help from my friends


This is exactly what friendship is all about.

A message like this is perfect for illustrating for Ellie what friendship feels like.  I'm sure I've shared before that Aubrie is not really a friend of Ellie's, although she follows Ellie around just to annoy her. Although Ellie realizes this, it's  hard at 10 to know what to do with someone like this.  So I've helped her see what real friendship looks like - it makes you feel good about who you are.

We've talked through how i feel after a phone call with my friends, Miss Erica in Bloomington or Miss Monica in Atlanta.  How they make me feel happier just talking to them.  We talk about our kids and our jobs and how we're glad we have each other to share this journey with.  Ellie recognized that I'm always happier when I have a phone call with one of them.

I explained she should feel good about herself when with a friend.  They should lift each other up, support and encourage one another.  Not tear one another down.  I've explained we all need help, and a good friend is the best solution for that!

I know she understands, its just a matter of practical application of that strategy that will make all the difference!

No comments: