Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The days may drag, but the years fly by!



This gorgeous photo of Ellie is from 5 years ago!  Hard to believe that it was so long ago.  We were living in Bloomington, at the beginning of a very cold winter.  She was the sweetest, most helpful little girl around!

Fast forward five years.  Now she's in fifth grade.  She's smart, funny and very thoughtful.  She knows what she likes and what she doesn't.  And she's very happy to tell you about it too!

Christmas also looked different this year too.  It still had the same stockings, tree with ornaments and gift giving.  What's changed is us.  Without Santa to carry the Christmas message, we focused on Advent - the preparation, the patience and the miracles.  She learned to connect the stories from the Bible and understand more about faith.

Ellie was also very involved in the gift giving this year.  She was concerned in the weeks leading up to Christmas that Daddy and Mommy would also have meaningful gifts to open.  "We need more gifts for Daddy's stocking so he'll have as many as me to open!"

Christmas morning was truly more about giving than receiving.  She always wanted a gift in our hands so we could open.  She now understands 'family gifts' which are for all of us to enjoy - whether than be something for the house, or for us to experience together.

The following day after all the presents were back in order under the tree and the wrapping paper was all cleaned up she said to me, "Mommy, I'm so grateful for all my gifts.  I love all the crafts and projects I got.  And now I get to do them with you and Daddy!"

Priceless.

The maturity and appreciation is amazing.

I wouldn't go back to that Christmas five years ago, yet I'm so glad we celebrated as we did then.  It's made way for celebrations to evolve and become even more meaningful.


No comments: