Friday, December 23, 2016
The most wonderful time of the year
It hasn't taken Christmas time to remind me to tell people how important they are to me. Although it creates a wonderful opportunity for you to you cast your net widely to ensure they know. This Christmas season began very differently as I approached it from a whole new perspective.
Many times the decorations and music start just after Halloween and with the hustle and bustle the festivity turns to frustration and Christmas spirit slips away weeks before the actual day. Not this year. This year would be different.
Perhaps it was the month of miracles journey that I set out to find beginning December first. Perhaps it was the absence of Santa in the story we told. It could have even been the focus on Advent each evening where the three of us gathered on the couch to hear Ellie read a story from her Advent book. Or the scripture reading from my grown-up Advent book before the door on the calendar was opened.
It could be the miracles that I found along the way. The miracles I created for others. Honestly, I believe it's been a combination of all of the above.
Sometimes when we set out on a journey, we're not sure what we'll find. We may stumble and fall along the way. And as we know it's not always about 'getting there', its what happens along the way that changes us.
This season has provided an amazing opportunity to let those around me know how important they are to me. It may have been through a small gesture or a gift. It may have been a card, a phone call or just taking the time to hear their story. For me it was about recognizing who each of them really are - inside - where it matters. And meeting them there.
I met a friend for lunch on Friday. Who would have thought on the 23rd of December - the Friday before the holiday that our calendars would be open AND we'd be working! Somehow we both were. She's an incredibly sweet woman from Louisiana who moved to Dallas at the same time we did. She's always been an encouraging voice and wonderful cheerleader during my journey here in Texas.
Friday was different. She'd lost her Christmas spirit. She shared her story of disappointment and discouragement. I listened. Realizing it wasn't my time to lean on her, I offered her a story of miracles and a promise of hope.
If you've ever watched someone's spirit lifted before you, it's a miracle in and of itself. Her mood lightened and her face brightened. I saw the load she'd been carrying become lighter. And I heard the words that mean more to me than most, "I'm so proud of you!" she said. Our friendship my gift. One I treasure. And my miracle for the Friday before Christmas.
Peace, love and friendship to you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment