Beauty of the season.
For many years, 'the season' has been a flurry of planning and execution in order to plan, shop, wrap, send and put away in order to have 'celebrated.' The process can be exhausted, frustrated and often disappointing.
This year is different.
Perhaps its the intention set before the big kickoff. Perhaps its about having expectations that were more aligned to reality than fantasy. More likely it was seeking each day this month to find extraordinary in the every day. When you look for the good, you will find the good.
I recently provided a Q&A session to a morning team of mine. We called it "Juice with Jude," where we offered 30 minutes to come to a break area with comfy furniture and a drink cart offering water and juices. They chose the questions, anything goes.
Usually when the group needs a prompt, I begin with my State Farm story. How long I've been with the company, what department and location I started in and where my career has taken me so far. Add in a couple random facts like Bill was a State Farm employee first and how we have weaved our two careers together, then mention Ellie and all her activities. This is a pretty good amount of information for a group to find something to ask a question.
This group sure did. How long have you been married? What does your husband do? What do you do to relax when you're not at work? What regrets to you have? What was your major in college? How come it's not an insurance degree? What's your favorite thing to bake? And my favorite, give us one piece of advice.
This one came in this format. "Jude, you're known for giving good motivational advice, what can you leave us with today?"
Wow. First, I didn't realize that's what I'm 'known' for ... I'd better think carefully before I speak from now on. Secondly, what could I say on a moment's notice that might be interesting, motivational or at least not disappointing to a group of eager employees?
Here's what I told them.
"Your thoughts, words and actions all matter. Begin by focusing on positive thoughts because they become your words, which lead to your actions. And whatever you are, be a good one." I gave credit to Abe Lincoln for the last sentence.
Here's to creating a season that began with seeking miracles.
No comments:
Post a Comment