Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Scrabble Night
Monday can be a long day. It can also be complicated by Bill traveling to California - two time zones away. So at the end of a long day I think we should have a treat ....
Yes, I arrived at day care on time to pick her up. Yes, she wanted a snack when I arrived. And after that she was ready for anything.
I told her it was Meatless Monday and we were having zucchini fritters for dinner. She thought that sounded good .. and then I mentioned Scrabble and she was all in.
We managed dinner, clean-up, shower, pi's and THEN we sat down for a marathon Scrabble game. Although she didn't win. She did amazingly better than the last time she and I played.
At one point I had paused during my turn and was contemplating the use of my "Q" - a ten point letter strategically on a double letter space. And I must have glanced at her. She immediately picked up on it and said, "Mommy, don't take it easy on me cause I'm a kid!"
She's so perceptive. So I didn't take it easy on her. I told her the best way to learn anything is to play with someone who is better than you. And I went on to tell her the story of when my brother, her uncle John was in high school and played tennis. That he's hand me down his racquets and then use me to practice with. I got better just by playing with him, and I learned to love the game.
She understood. And now she wants to play tennis of course!
One night down without Bill at home ....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment