Monday, October 27, 2014

Happy 80th Birthday to my Dad!


Today my Dad would have been 80 years old.  That is an unfathomable number to me since I never knew him past the age of 39.

As we know, life doesn't work the way we think it will.  The path is long and winding - with little regard for how we THINK it's going to go.  Hold on, this is the ride of your life.

People may come and go without notice.  And we'll never know the impact they could have had on us.  I'll never know how different my life would have been if my Dad had lived longer.  I wasn't meant to know.  There was a greater plan for me.  I accept that and embrace the life I have.  And yet it makes me think, I wish I'd had one last moment to tell him I love him, to ask him questions, to tell him what mattered to me at the time .....

Today choose differently.  Choose to tell them what they mean to you.  Take a moment to tell someone what they've brought to your life - that you're grateful they're in your life - and remind them that they matter.

You matter.

I didn't know those lessons when he died.  But I sure do know those lessons now.  People come and go - I've come and gone with this moving around the country.  Yet I tell them.  Whoever they are at the time - that they matter.

A smile, a pat on the back, words of encouragement.  It all matters.

Tell them.  Today.

No comments: