Monday, January 2, 2017
And so it begins ...
My visits to check on Izzy have been mixed. One day she'll come out and see me, the next she's in her 'hiding' spot on the top shelf of the closet. On the day she came out to see me she got treats, played with one of her toys although mostly she sat and watched the front door hoping to see her 'real Dad' come through the door.
Yesterday she only wanted to snooze. She raised her head when I called her name, but stuck to her plan of 'hiding' in the closet. Truth be told, I was disappointed. I thought I'd made progress from the day before and she'd welcome me in. Not so fast.
Isn't that really the story of life? Kids and pets - you can only HOPE to influence, persuade or help along the way. Yet they are their own beings. They have their plan. Here's where tempering your expectations can help.
As I refilled her food, changed her water and found her toys that she'd pushed under furniture I reminded myself why I was there. I wasn't there because Izzy asked me to be, she didn't approve of this plan. I was there to make sure she was fed, safe and cared for in her 'real Dad's" absence. For her it wasn't about me. IT WAS ABOUT HER!
Similarly with children. We can do everything in our power to guide this process, but ultimately they need to accept and want it too. Perhaps that is oversimplifying it, but honestly don't things go so much smoother when both parties have the same outcome in mind?
Pictured below, Ellie has finished the final Burger Challenge visit for 2016. This time we took Bill with us to Deep Ellum. We visited Uncle Uber's this time - which is right across the street from Angry Dog. Bill thought it was great too!
The reason the Burger Challenge works so well is because Ellie and I share the common goal of determining the best burger. In the end we can have different winners, but we were in it together. And we are both satisfied ... well fed, had fun and did it together. Great lesson of creating a common goal, and with Izzy recognizing that as long as she was fed and safe - goals were met.
Who would have thought that this 'scaredy cat' would have taught me such a valuable lesson this week?
Izzy: who me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment