Saturday, September 27, 2014

Being Fierce!

Stretching out before the game
I know I've mentioned before how youth sports are taken much more seriously in Texas than I've ever seen elsewhere.  Ellie began soccer in Virginia, played again in Illinois and now has continued in Texas.  As far as youth sports growing up, no one watched more of my brother, John's youth hockey games and lived to tell about it than me!

Parents can be the hardest part.  They can be really hard on their own children disguised as coaching and cheering.  Last week as the game ended I heard a father say to his eight year old daughter, "you can't hog the ball all the time,  you're not that good anyway."  I was crushed.

The world as we know it will try to tear this young girl down for the rest of her life - as a parent, aren't you supposed to be the one the helps to build her up by instilling confidence?!  I was glad Ellie wasn't near-by to hear.

Today was just gorgeous for soccer.  Low 80's, slight breeze and no humidity!

As the girls were standing on the sidelines waiting for the game before theirs to finish one of the moms/coaches from that game turned to one of our girls and said, "Just so you know when you play this team - they have a girl that pushes, really hard!"  And then the girls started talking about it.

As the girls broke up I called Ellie over to me.  Looked her straight in the eye and said, "I want you to have a good game.  Try your very best and good things will happen.  Finish Strong and be fierce!"  She smiled, hugged me and dashed onto the field to practice.

And what a game she played - runs like the wind when she's compelled to do so, listens to the coach, passes to her teammates and encourages and cheers them on.  Couldn't ask for a better team player, that's for sure!

They won, again, 4-3.  Their record for the season is undefeated and stands at 4-0!

After the game we told her how proud of her we were for trying her best.  She was fierce!

After the game - proud of her accomplishment!


No comments: