![]() |
| How I will remember Don - kind and caring heart, with a big smile! R.I.P. - You will be greatly missed! |
| Don brought 'light' to our lives - here he lights Ellie's baptismal candle |
| Don sitting close by as Ellie was baptized |
I find myself more often lately in the position of saying goodbye to someone close to me. Perhaps this has happened more often to me because of the two moves from NY to VA and to IL within the last 4 years. But honestly, it's happened my entire life.
Sometimes you're not able to tell that someone goodbye. Sometimes their death precedes that opportunity. When this happened in the past I would kick myself for not having said what I wanted or needed to say. Those days are over.
I am very intentional keeping in touch with people, sending a note or picking up the phone to ensure they know that they are important to me. I've managed to get over the weirdness with several friends to be able to say, 'hey - you are important to me. this is what you've helped me with, taught me and i'm glad you're part of my life.'
The moments don't get by me anymore. I have people in my life far and wide that I value their friendship, kindness and guidance. One of those people to me was Don Carroll. Don was in my life in several ways - he began as my bosses' boss, grew into a teacher and mentor as well as the person we shared our church back home with.
I often say, 'he was with us when Ellie was baptized.' He has watched Ellie grow through pictures and cards I've sent to him since we first moved from Saratoga. I looked forward to seeing him at the office until he retired, and then at church on Sunday during visits home.
Don was one of those people who knew what he meant to me. Because I told him so.
I'll miss him greatly.

No comments:
Post a Comment