Thursday, July 6, 2017

In prayer



Today I pray.

Yesterday as the rest of the world was preparing for backyard cookouts, flying flags and watching fireworks I got a call from a friend in Bloomington.  She shared her brother-in-law had been in a fatal car accident the night before and she was flying to Dallas in the morning to be with her sister and three nephews.

Stop.
Breathe.
Pray.

Life became a whole lot more in focus in that moment.

The impermanence of anything solid was very real.  Each. moment. matters. Every. single. day.

The mug shown above is one of a pair that I painted in Bloomington before I left for Dallas three years ago.  They are not identical.  They are opposites.  I gave one to this friend as we always met for coffee to share our stories and our lives.  She is a soul sister to me.  The bottom has both our names and the date.  When we use our respective mugs we think of one another and we're grateful for our friendship - even across the miles.

When she arrives in Dallas to be with her family in their time of need, I'll be here for her.  For coffee, for a shoulder, for a quiet, soft place to land in the upended reality she is living.

Friendship doesn't end with miles.  It actually becomes more meaningful.

Cannot wait to give her a hug and tell her everything will be okay.

Amen.

No comments: