Sunday, October 23, 2016

Joe Maddon, Miracles and a trip to the World Series



Since Opening Day of baseball 2016, I've been routing for the Cubs.  And it wasn't until after they won last night to secure their spot in the World Series that I realized exactly why.

It isn't because they haven't been there since 1945, or better still won a World Series since 1908.  It isn't because the city of Chicago is known for the most loyal fans in baseball, and it isn't because I've jumped on the bandwagon to be part of something bigger than myself.

The Cubs started knocking on the door of my heart in the second half of LAST season.  Each time Jake Arrieta pitched it seemed like it was headed for a no-hitter or a record setting game.  At season's end he won the NL Cy Young Award as a reward for all his achievements.  Then there was that rookie with the wide smile and the amazing bat, Kris Bryant.  He seemed to be everywhere in the field and hit the ball like a veteran. All of this earned him the NL Rookie of the Year.  Last but not least, there was Joe Maddon.  His strategies and calm presence led him to NL Manager of the Year.  All of this happened during the 2015 season.

With great anticipation I awaited opening day to cheer for the Cubs.  It didn't really feel like I was routing against the Yankees since they were in different leagues and didn't even play one another this season.  For the most part I justified it because I appreciated Joe Maddon's leadership style as Manager - why couldn't everyone lead this way?

By mid-season even Ellie was hooked.  She loved her KB (Kris Bryant to the rest of the world), and even though he is 24 years old, she's insisted she's going to marry him.  When I suggested that the age difference wouldn't work she justified it by saying that Derek Jeter married someone 16 years younger - so this marriage with KB was the real deal!

She grew to love these players they way I did - Addy Russell, Anthony Rizzo, Javy Baez, Dexter Fowler and Grampa David Ross.  She'd cheer for them as we watched the games.  And boy, did we watch games this season.  Lots and lots of them.  The highlight of the season was when the Cubs were on a west coast trip and a Saturday afternoon they played the Dodgers.  When we sat down to watch it Ellie said to me, "Mommy isn't it the Dodgers that Vin Scully does the games for?"  So we switched to the Dodgers broadcast instead of WGN's coverage and enjoyed one last game called by Vin Scully before he retired!

So as the Cubs secured their spot at the World Series last night - for the first time in 71 years, I realized why this meant so much to me.  Its the way this team came together.  Its youth and experience working together.  Its wanting the accolades more for one another then for themselves.  That's team work.  With great leadership.  Although I can say I'm happy for the people of Chicago, that's not why I feel so aligned to this team.  They are underdogs who never gave into that label.  They believed in themselves.

And as Joe continued to remind them to do.  They never gave up.

As this t-shirt above says, 'Be Present, Not Perfect."  That's been my mantra this year - far outside of the baseball field.  In the end though, doesn't it all come down to that?  Life and baseball are a lot alike.  You have to be part of something greater than yourself.  You have to believe that it is possible.  With good leadership and a little luck you could end up at the World Series too!

No comments: