Today we saw something we've never seen before.
As I was enjoying the beginning of my 4-day weekend, I took care of some errands this morning. On my way I saw some activity atop a very large on a road we often travel. To get a better look, I pulled off into a clearing near the local golf course.
What I found was about 10 herons at the top in what appeared to be nests. One at a time they'd fly from that tree into surrounding trees and return with something in their beak. At first I though they were getting food - perhaps the male doing the hunting while the female sat on the eggs.
But after some research I found that not the case.
I arranged for Ellie to be a walker today at dismissal so I could walk to school and pick her up. When I arrived in our conversation walking home I asked if she was interested in seeing the birds I found. She was game, so off we went to the same spot again. These birds are enormous in flight! She was very impressed. So impressed that she's talked Bill into going back with us tomorrow to take another look. He'll bring the telephoto lens on the camera so we may have more to show for our adventure then!
Nesting: Nesting colonies are typically found in mature forests, on islands, or near mudflats. Great blue herons do best when they are free of human disturbance and have foraging areas near by.
Great Blue Herons typically breed in colonies containing a few to several hundred pairs. Nest building begins in February when a male chooses a nesting territory and actively displays to attract a female. The large nest is usually built high up in a tree. The male gathers sticks for the female who constructs a platform nest lined with small twigs, bark strips, and conifer needles. The female lays 2-6 pale blue eggs, then both parents incubate them for 25-29 days (4 weeks) until the young hatch. The parents bring food to young at the nest for two months before the young can fly and continue feeding the birds for a few weeks after fledging (leaving) the nest.
Did you know?
- Great Blue Herons look enormous in flight, with a six-foot wingspan
- Both parents incubate the eggs for 25-29 days (4 weeks)
- In flight, a Great Blue Heron usually holds its head close to its body with the neck bent.
- The young can first fly at about 60 days old

No comments:
Post a Comment