This is what I tell Ellie all the time. I tell her this because I believe it. And actually putting it into practice on days like today is really hard.
We began our day with the very last school assembly of third grade. We were proud of Ellie achieving A/B Honor Roll for not only every 9 week period, but for the entire year. She finished the year with
93 - Social Studies
100 - Citizenship
88 - Language Arts
91 - Writing
92 - Math
95 - Science
Pass - Art
Pass - Music
Pass - Technology
Pass - Physical Education
Today was also the last time that her principal, Mrs. Shumer would be her principal. She has accepted another position with the district and will be terrific as the person in charge of curriculum. Mrs. Shumer is near and dear to our hearts because of her kindness and clear devotion to her students. She knows the name of each and every student. And she proves that every day when the kids enter the school. She is also the person who asked us to consider having Ellie finish the last month of 2nd grade in Texas so that the transition into 3rd grade the following year would be easier. She was right, and we are very grateful for her wise counsel. They did her final good-bye and I led the audience in jumping to my feet for a standing ovation. She will be greatly missed.
| Christmas address at State Farm HQ in the atrium Bill & I had our photo taken with Ed Rust |
We arrived at work today to celebrate Founder's Day throughout the company. It is the day of our Founder's birthday - and since the company's inception in 1922 we have celebrated one day a year. We were treated to our Chairman, Ed Rust addressing the local audience in Bloomington and the virtual audience via video throughout the country. It was a moving speech as he announced that after 40 years with the company, and 30 years as Chairman like his father and grandfather before him, he would be stepping down just before his 65th birthday in September.
What a run! And what a man. He's been around at the helm for the entire career of nearly everyone I know! And they have named his replacement as well. He has been with the company 27 years and most recently as the right arm of Mr. Rust as COO. Change is good I know. And yet change is often hard. This will be a big change. There was a ripple of sadness throughout the company as we wrapped our brains around losing a man that we admire and trust. I'm so glad he's been leading our company for so long. I trust that the Board of Directors, in all their wisdom have chosen a worthy successor.
And this day of good byes continued.
I learned today that one of my Supervisors, Andi, received an offer for an awesome new role in a different department that will allow her normal working hours and more time with her husband and family. I thought I'd shed enough tears throughout the day to be done. I was wrong. I cried tears of joy, being proud and knowing that I will miss her tremendously being a part of our team. She's grown and helped her team grow. She is headed for bigger and better things and I'm so very proud of her success.
Wow!
That's a lot of goodbyes for one day. I believe that tomorrow we'll begin to say hello to new opportunities and new people to fill these cherished roles.

No comments:
Post a Comment