Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Key Jar


Here's our Key Jar.

What is a Key Jar, you ask?  I'll tell you.

My friend, Glennon Doyle Melton, sharing it on her blog Monastery this week.  Okay, so Glennon is not really my friend in sense you're thinking.  We don't call, text or even write.  But over the past several years I've bought 18 copies of her book to give to friends, moms, co-workers, just about anyone who is married and has kids and sometimes has a bad day.  A hard day.

Glennon is the one who reminded me that although life is hard, we can do hard things!  Every. Day.

Back to the Key Jar.  It is filled with questions to 'unlock' kids.  Conversations with kids.  It is the solution to the following situation:  "What did you do at school today?"  followed by, "Nothing."  And then, "really? nothing?  you had to have done something."  and finally, "I don't remember."

Here's where the Key Jar comes in.  It's filled with questions - random, thought-provoking questions to start the conversation.

Today's question:  If you had to choose one food to eat the rest of your life, what would it be?

Ellie's answer: "Scallops.  I was going to say shrimp, but I really like scallops more."  This led to a question about when she first remembered eating scallops, does she remember the ocean, does she want to go back to the ocean .. and so on and so on.

Now doesn't that make you want more answers!  Just you wait, I'm sure there will be plenty more where that came from!

No comments: