Sunday, August 18, 2013

It all began 12 years ago today

August 17, 2013 - 12 years after the first date
Baxter's Restaurant - Bloomington, IL

August 18, 2001 was our official first date.  Yes, we'd known each other for many years before that.  There was St. Patrick's Day in 2000 that Bill, Craig and TK were at the Parting Glass in the same area that Trina, Christine, Erin and I were standing.  Craig so profoundly said, "you should be going out with my friend, Bill!"  I gracefully declined, not seeing any interest from Bill.

Of course we go even further back to East Side Rec and Babe Ruth baseball games where as a teenager I'd follow him to the concession stand just to stand behind him ... and years before that when his family would come into the bakery and I was the little girl behind the counter bagging his family's order.

That seems like yesterday, and yet so long ago.  And so much has changed.

Jen Sarver was the one who put the idea in both our heads that we should meet to go out.  She'd arranged for us to meet at the track on Saturday, August 18, 2001 for a casual get-together.  Little did I know that when I arrived in the picnic area, Bill would be surrounded by most of his friends and family.  No pressure, really!

It was casual.  No intense talking or deep conversation to get to know one another.  We snacked on picnic food and I remember drinking a bottle of water.  And then Bill got up and began to pack things to leave.  His parents were also packing their things.  And I thought, 'hmm, I guess he didn't like me, he's leaving."

And after he got them all packed up he came over to me and said, "I have to get my parents home, but I'd like to take you to dinner tonight.  Can I get your number and I'll come pick you up?  Does 7pm work?"

And he did.  He picked me up and we went downtown.  We went to Graham's Restaurant on Putnam, which has since been 5 other restaurants most notably Doc's Steakhouse, but I digress.  We walk in the front door and the place is jammed.  Pat Graham, the owner, is standing near the hostess station.  He and Bill went to high school together so he takes good care of Bill and we're seated immediately.  "Wow, this guy is really important," I thought!

It was a good first date.  I don't remember what I ate, except I remember eating dessert. Bill ordered creme brulee.  I must have had something chocolate.  It was memorable to me because I remember being comfortable enough with him on a first day to order dessert and enjoy it.

So let's just say that not every day since has not been about dessert, but we have had our sweet moments!  And I'm so glad that 8/18/01 happened ... and the rest is history!

August something 2001 - picnic right around the time of our first date

No comments: