Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Another Ellie story

Ellie asked me the other day if I was scared on my first day of work when we moved to Bloomington.

Trying to figure out what prompted that question I said, "well, I was a little scared, do you want to know why?" She nodded, and I continued, "when I first started I didn't know my boss, who was on my team or what to do when I got to my desk."

She seemed very interested so I kept going, "but it got easier because I got to know my boss, how to do my job and made friends with people who make me happy to go to work now."

Then I asked her, "Ellie are you scared of starting the First Grade?" She looked a little sheepish and said, 'yes.' When asked why she was scared she replied, "Because they learn Science in First Grade, and I don't know Science!"

I smiled at her and said, "that's why they'll be teaching you Science, because you don't know it yet. You're not supposed to!" This all transpired because she got to sit with a current First grader, Alex and he explained what First grade was like.

I asked her if there was anything she liked about sitting with him. Immediately she lit up and said, "They have a really cool math book in First Grade that Alex said I would get when I get there!" "So, there you see,' I explained, 'although you don't know your teacher or which of your friends will be in your new class, there is SO much to look forward to in First Grade.

Before you know it the end of August will be here and you'll be back in school." She seemed happy enough with our talk. My only hope is I continue to have the answers that she can find comfort in .....

No comments: