Saturday, August 6, 2016

I can see clearly now ...


Ellie had her annual eye exam two weeks ago.  We found this wonderful, family-friendly, neighborhood eye place in downtown Wylie when we moved to Texas.  She loves to go there and 'pass' all the eye tests.  She especially likes that there's no more, air puff to the eye test.  And our eye doctor is wonderful too.  She's young and sweet.  So kind - even to us adults during our eye exam.

This visit was funny because we checked in and the girl behind the desk had a tiara on her head.  And my first thought was, 'wow, does she wear that every day?  I remember she had one on last year too!"

Then I realized that it was her birthday.  When she shared that we had our appointments exactly a year ago we all had a good laugh since I thought she must wear a tiara every day - and not just on her birthday.  Oh, the joys of small town Texas.

Back to the glasses.  What we found is that Ellie is far-sighted.  Unlike Bill and I that are near-sighted and have glasses for distance - driving, watching t.v. really anything that's not close up.  Ellie is the opposite.  Yet she's exactly the same as the eye doctor.  Which made for a great conversation about how Ellie should use the glasses for reading, school work, using her iPad but not for the classroom to see the board.

It also makes sense why her reading comprehension is not up-to-par with the standardized tests.  And yet she's advanced in writing, math and science.  When she reads her eyes get tired and her brain assumes things in her reading.  Then she answers questions about what she read without having read the details.  This results in lower reading comprehension scores.

Here's where the glasses come in.  And boy does she love her new glasses!  These frames are trendy apparently too. So happy to see her wearing them when she does a workbook or reading.  Just in time for back to school - entering 5th grade happy, healthy and ready to learn!

1 comment:

Saratoga Grammy said...

I love, love, love your glasses, Ellie!!