Friday, July 8, 2016

Trust Your Journey



I got a phone call about 7pm last evening from a friend whose timing is always impeccable.  When I say I have soul sisters, you have to believe me on this one.  She was driving home from the gym, stopping en route at CVS to pick up a lice kit because she got a call that day from her 4 year old son's daycare that there was an outbreak.

I share the details of her day only to say that she had lots of stuff already on her mind.  The job that keeps her hopping, 4 year old and almost 1 year old and a wonderful husband too.  And yet she called me. "Because I haven't talked to you since you got back from your trip," she said.  And yet we didn't talk much about that at all.  At least not the beautiful shorelines, the business class flight or all those wine tastings ... No, we talked about what it was like to have some one on one time with our husbands.

She and Chris had just returned to Bloomington from a long weekend in Philadelphia where they attended a wedding.  She ooh-ed and ahhh-ed how wonderful it was to have just a couple nights away to dress up, dance and be grown ups.  Yes, that time is so necessary to remember why we do what we do, I told her.  And we reminded ourselves what wonderful husbands we have in the midst of all the chaos.

Our journeys are not the same.  And yet we share a place in one another's lives and in each other's hearts.  When I saw this image above a few days ago I thought of her instantly.  And today as I am treasuring our conversation, I found it to be really profound.

Trust your journey.  You matter.

No comments: